Subiaco croquet club was a founding member of the Western Australian Croquet Association.
Early interclub matches played by the club helped start the pennant competition.
The first greens and clubhouse were located in the Subiaco Municipal Gardens and opened in 1904 ( more likely November 1903 ).
They existed there until moved to the wedge shaped section of land between Thomas, Nicholson and Rokeby Rds in probably 1929.
Interestingly the old pavilion accompanied the move and a new brick building was not installed until 1938.
Subiaco was involved in a minor dispute in 1932 when a complaint was received that some ladies were observed playing croquet during the ANZAC day ceremonies.
The clubs initial colours were yellow and white, not the usual colours for a Subiaco sporting team, the traditional maroon and gold was in vogue in 1938, exactly when the change was made is unknown. The croquet association struggled to control club colours at times and many clashes occurred.
Subiaco was a host club when the first country week competitions began.
Subiaco was a powerhouse in pennants at times but also maintained the Subiaco tradition of long droughts between success.
A grade was won in 1907, 1908 and 1951
A2 in 1941
B grade in 1908, 1922, 1950
C grade in 1965, 1966, 1967
C2 in 1957
After the change from grades to divisions
Division 1 in 1974, 1977, 1978
Division 2 in 1970, 1971, 1985, 1988, 1989
Division 3 in 1986
Division 5 in 1983
The clubs finest hour was being a host venue for the Eire Cup in 1989, when WA won the event for the first time.
But demise came quickly after that and the club disbanded in the late 1990’s.
The venue is now the Subiaco Petanque club and a public park.